NEIGHOURHOOD IN BLOOM PROJECT
A volunteer group has planned
a Neighbourhood in Bloom project to create more green space in your
neighbourhood. Teams of volunteers will be planting flower bulbs in
unused areas. Your class has volunteered to help out.
paper and pencil
counters, beads, or pennies (optional)
You are put in charge of choosing the flowers for an area of green
space. Once you have chosen which type of flowers to plant, decide how
many packages of each type of bulb you will need to buy. Then figure
out how to plant the bulbs to create a pattern.
- Choose the types of flowers you would like to plant.
- You must choose 2 different types of flowers.
- Each type of flower you choose must come in packages that have
a different number of bulbs than the packages of the other type
of flower you choose.
Not all flowers can grow in every part of Canada, so before choosing,
find out which growing zone you live in. Click on this link for McConnell
Nurseries to begin. Once you are at the Web site, click the zone
map link and then select your province from the drop-down
list to find out which growing zone you live in.
To choose flowers, click the shop online link and
then click the Bulbs link. When you find a flower
that you want to plant, click the INFO link below
the picture of the flower to find out how many bulbs come in each
package. Pay attention to the coldest zone listed for the types of
flowers you choose and make sure you do not live in a colder zone.
- When buying the flower bulbs, you must keep in mind the volunteer
- The volunteer group thinks you will need about 100 bulbs of one
type of flower and about 100 bulbs of another type of flower.
- You must have an equal number of each type of flower.
How many packages of bulbs do you need to buy so that you have an
equal number of each type of flower and you do not buy any extra bulbs?
Use your knowledge of multiples to answer the question. Keep in mind
how many bulbs come in the packages for each type of flower.
- Now that you have bought the bulbs, you can start planting them.
Your teacher challenges you to make a pattern with two different colours
of flowers. The pattern must meet the following criteria:
- The pattern is made up of a row of alternating purple and yellow
- Each rectangle of purple flowers must include 28 evenly spaced
- Each rectangle of yellow flowers must include 36 evenly spaced
How can you plant the bulbs in
the shape of rectangles so that the purple and yellow rectangles have
the same number of rows? For each combination of purple and yellow
rectangles, describe how many rows and how many columns of bulbs would
be in the purple rectangle and in the yellow rectangle.
Use your knowledge of factors to solve the problem. Show your work
and explain the strategy that you used to solve the problem.
you explain and show all your steps?
Did you use
math language correctly?
Did you check